Felipe is a Colombian lawyer, graduated with honors, from Pontificia Universidad Javeriana and LL.M. in International Business Regulation, Litigation and Arbitration from New York University School of Law (Colfuturo scholar). He advises, and is part of the team that represents, domestic and foreign clients in large and complex national and international commercial arbitrations under ICC and CCB rules related to the mining and infrastructure sectors and in general commercial and corporate disputes. He also regularly assists arbitral tribunals, including the Chairman, in ICC and CCB arbitrations.
Mr. González Arrieta has a vast academic experience reflected in the structuring of several academic programs on domestic and international arbitration, such as the Diplomas on International Commercial Arbitration and Investment Arbitration offered by the Chamber of Commerce of Bogotá. He is a regular lecturer in national and international arbitration at several institutions such as the Chamber of Commerce of Bogotá and the International School of Arbitration of Universidad Nacional de Colombia and the Universidad del Rosario, amongst others. Felipe was awarded special honors for his thesis called “El Modelo Colombiano de Acuerdo para la Protección y Promoción Recíproca de Inversiones: un estudio práctico y jurídico” (“The Colombian Model BIT: a practical and legal study”). As a student, he was part of the teams of Pontificia Universidad Javeriana (2010) and New York University School of Law (2013) at the Willem C. Vis International Commercial Arbitration Moot.
Felipe is the author of several articles on international arbitration published in international journals and blogs such as TDM, Arbitraje: Revista de arbitraje comercial y de inversiones, and Kluwer Arbitration Blog.
Felipe is a member of the Colombian Arbitration Committee (Comité Colombiano de Arbitraje) and an arbitrator of the Centro de Mediación y Arbitraje Comercial de la Cámara Argentina de Comercio y Servicios – CEMARC.
Prior to joining Suescún Abogados, Felipe interned at the Directorate of Foreign Investment of the Ministry of Commerce of Colombia, the office in charge of negotiating Colombia’s BITs and coordinating Colombia’s defense in international investment arbitration tribunals, where he took part in the negotiations of some of Colombia’s Bilateral Investment Treaties, and worked as a lawyer on domestic and international arbitration matters at the Center for Arbitration and Conciliation of the Chamber of Commerce of Bogotá, one of the largest and most important arbitration institutions in Latin America.
recent representative matters
representative case experience
• LL.M. in International Business Regulation, Litigation and Arbitration from New York University School of Law (NYU).
• Lawyer (J.D. equivalent), with honors, from Pontificia Universidad Javeriana
• 2012 Session of the International Academy for Arbitration Law, Paris, France.
publications and academic experience
- “Las cláusulas escalonadas o multinivel: su aproximación en Colombia” (Escalated or multistep clauses: its approximation in Colombia); Arbitraje: Revista de arbitraje comercial y de inversiones; Vol. V, n° 1; 2012.
- González Arrieta, Felipe and Velarde Saffer, Luis Miguel. “The Consistency of the UNCITRAL Rules on Transparency with the Transparency Policy of Some Latin American Countries”, Kluwer Arbitration Blog, 2014.
- “Arbitration in Colombia: Two Steps Forward and one Backwards”; TDM 5 (2016), www.transnational-dispute-management.com. URL: www.transnational-dispute-management.com/article.asp?key=2382
- “Jurisdiction and Admissibility in International Investment Arbitration: a study and applicability of the grey zone”. Submitted and under peer review.
- Academic director, course mentor and lecturer at the e-learning Course on Domestic and International Arbitration of the Chamber of Commerce of Bogotá.
- Lecturer at the Diploma on Domestic and International Arbitration of the Center for Arbitration and Conciliation – Chamber of Commerce of Bogotá.
- Lecturer at the School of International Arbitration 2017 “International Investment and Commercial Arbitration: A Blessing or a Curse”, Universidad Nacional de Colombia and Universidad del Rosario.
- Lecturer at the Diploma on Domestic and International Arbitration of the Chamber of Commerce of Pereira
- Arbitrator since 2011 at Competencia Internacional de Arbitraje Comercial (International Commercial Arbitration Moot) – Universidad del Rosario and Universidad de Buenos Aires.
- Arbitrator since 2015 at Competencia de Arbitraje Internacional de Inversión (International Investment Arbitration Moot) – American University, Washington College of Law; Universidad Externado de Colombia; and Chamber of Commerce of Bogotá.
- Member of the Colombian Arbitration Committee (Comité Colombiano de Arbitraje).
- Arbitrator of the Centro de Mediación y Arbitraje Comercial de la Cámara Argentina de Comercio y Servicios – CEMARC